Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

A Wonky Baby Quilt

Some things I've learned this week... putting a quilt together using old flannel shirts is probably not the best idea I've ever had.  No two shirts were the same weight flannel and old flannel just doesn't stay straight to cut which means nothing is going to be straight if one stitches on one of the lines in the plaid.  It's also impossible to match the plaids when all the plaids and the fabric weights are different.  On top of that, it's been a long time since I've sewn anything that required precision stitching and I need some practice sewing a straight line.

In spite of all that, I'm happy with the quilt because it's for my grandchild due in January and the flannel shirts belonged to my son, the future dad, who wore a flannel shirt every day when he was in high school.  He's now 31 but I still had some of those shirts.  My camera didn't get the full quilt it... there's a blue strip at the top too.

flannel shirt quilt full

2 comments:

Barb said...

I love it! What makes it even more special is the choice of fabrics. I can see this baby at age 6 holding on to the remnants of this much loved quilt, and mother prying the thin strips of frayed flannel from his/her tiny fingers before sending him/her out the door to catch the morning bus to kindergarten.

Joan said...

Helen - That looks like it would feel sooooooooo soft!!! I love it!