Pages

Monday, February 26, 2018

Art Journals and Other Stuff

Before I get to the Art Journal part a bit more on the quilt.  I showed you some close ups of what Beth did with the quilting, here are some close ups of patches I did, some of what makes it special....
Practicing some embroidery
Old Man Winter

Part of Ed's baby pillow
 
Some of Grandma's lace


Now on to the Art Journaling....

Seems that art journaling has been around for a long time and I was never sure exactly what it was all about.  The images I saw were way different than what I do in my sketchbook which is what most art journals are.  This is the type of thing I normally do... done last Tuesday with my Tuesday Painters group.
 
But what I see as an art journal looks more like this....
 
As I am sorting and purging in my studio I notice I do a lot of this too; however, it's in a variety of different journals.  That's because I make journals.  I'm not a bookmaker but I do like to make different types of books and every time I think... hmmmm... that could become an art journal and I do a page or two and set it aside.  I have several and I will show you a few pages that I've done over the years but first... why I'm talking about this.
 
My focus this year is to try different media and different styles... It's been a couple years since I've done any major work of art and I realize it's because what I had been doing bores me.  I started doing some different things and loved doing different things so, time to try that.  I've also decided I really do need to get rid of a lot of things that are just taking up space or that I just don't have a need for. 
 
Purging meant I found some of those journals I'd made with one or two pages done.  Well, what do you know, I do art journals... and they are experimental....
 
In fact, one that I found, an old one, is something that had just recently decided I would try, cold wax collage.... I have no idea when I did this but it's cold wax collage....
And here are a few more... some starts that I've finished in the past few days and some that I did awhile back.  I plan to finish some of the books I started.... and maybe make some new ones.  Some I find I like working in, some not so much.  I will just have to see where this takes me....
 





And here is one of the books I made...
It's an old book that was in pretty bad shape.  The insides came out, the cover got a make over and new pages were inserted.  I think I'll make more like this one if I find more old books that are in need of repair.
 

No comments: