Pages

Monday, April 20, 2020

What Goes Around Comes Around

One of my favorite sketch artists is Shari Blaukopf.  Last week she offered a Garden Sketching Workshop.  It was Tuesday, the day I usually paint with my Tuesday Painter friends but it's still too cold to paint outdoors and with the quarantine that's our only option. In warm weather we often paint in gardens so I decided to take the workshop. My sketch is more painting than sketch....
But I learned a few things - mainly that she is much more patient than I am when I'm sketching outdoors.  I ended up working on this all week.  Just so you know, I did other things too, I had to wait for parts of this to dry before moving on.

Looking at it I was reminded of a piece that was in my first one person show back in 79 or 80.  It was a piece that I really liked and it wasn't for sale.  I was thrilled that a person known for her extensive art collection wanted to buy it but I didn't sell it to her.  It was enough for me to know she wanted it.  I did sell a couple other paintings at that show, one a boat and one an abstract.  This is the garden painting I did back then, the glare on the right is from the glass; it hangs in our bedroom.
Interestingly, of the three divergent paintings that I sold or came close to selling at that exhibit the only one I continued to paint regularly was boats.  I've recently started playing with abstracts more seriously.  Maybe I should also go back to gardens too.

No comments: