Pages

Monday, March 28, 2016

Something New

Last week my spouse was making Onion Soup and when I saw all those onion skins I asked him to save them for me.  Having been with me for more than 40 years and living with me for one month shy of 40 years he didn't ask why, just left them all in the sink for me.

I made my first vegetable dye and this is the result....

The piece that looks pink wasn't onion skin dye, that piece was in the pot with the eggs dyed with silk ties.  The rest onion skin dye on muslin, some bleached, some unbleaced.  

The piece with the face in the moon lower left is a prayer flag that will hang in one of my studio windows to see what happens to the dye.  I've layerd two pieces than put a strip of muslin and aother of lace to see what happens.  Everything is based so I can take layers off and date results.  I won't take them all off at once.

I really like the result and am anxious to try more vegetable dyes.

Meanwhile.... I also did a still life sketch with my Tuesday group.... from this still ife set up

This is my sketch, you can see I altered it just a tad.  I don't know if it will get painted, it's in my sketch book and we'll be getting together tomorrow.  We shall see what tomorrow brings.

3 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

You really experiment with everything, Helen! Did you try the necktie process for the eggs? You do such fun things! Thanks for sharing!!!

Helen Percy Lystra said...

Yes Joan, neckties for the eggs but also tried some old silk scarves. Fun project!

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

onion skins...YES....i have gotten some amazing color from them, especially
the ones from our local farmer's market.....
your drawing made me find my pencils....