Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Just Back From France

 We started out journey in Arles.  A riverboat took us up the Rohne as far as Lyon.  Stops along the way in Avignon, Viviers, and Vienne we interesting as well as picturesque.
 Since we were with a group there wasn't time to just stop and sketch a bit but I did take plenty of photos and plain to put together a sketchbook from our trip based on those photos.  One of our stops in Arles was the hospital where VanGogh was treated when he cut off his ear.

Our original plan was to do the River Cruise, then spend a few more days just exploring.  That's the time I had planned to do some sketching since it was just the two of us.  My spouse is used to me wanting to stop and sketch.  That plan didn't work out.  My spouse has been suffering with hip, back and knee issues and by the end of the cruise, he was in a great deal of pain.  There were also train strikes and I seemed to be coming down with a cold so we decided to cut the trip short and enjoy the good memories.  Back him we discovered it was good he was hurting because I was recovering from pneumonia and didn't realize I had it.  That probably comes from being raised by a mother who always said..."it's all in your head, you're fine, just keep on going."  Anyway, I am recovering and doing just fine though a little weak.  I nap which is new for me.

A couple more photos.... 




I did some stitching along the way but haven't photographed it yet.  When I do I'll post.  And once some of the sketches are done I'll post those too.

2 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Love the photos. They remind me of my trip to France. I sketched at that hospital too. Sorry you will have to do some of the sketches at home instead of on location, but considering your health it is a good thing.

Carol Payne said...

Looking forward to your sketches. I spent 9 years in France and love the street views!