Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Everyday, New Year and habits need to change

 

It’s time for new resolves…starting tomorrow it is a New Year after all.  Like most of you I’ve made resolutions in the past and like most of you, kept them for awhile but then slipped back into old habits.

One I did manage to keep in 2013, keep the weight that I lost in 2012 off for a year.  I’m happy to report that I’ve managed to stay within 2 pounds + or – all year.  Now, in spite of the fact that my skin no longer shrinks I’m thinking 10 more pounds can go.  I’ve gotten use to the saggy skin.

Now for 2014….I do plan to continue morning sketches but I’m now calling them daily sketches…. yesterdays didn’t get done until 10:00 last night.

daily tomato 12 30 13

But no resolutions, just a word.  I wish I could remember when I read about this so I could give credit but I can’t, sorry.  Anyway, my word is RELEASE, as in release unnecessary clutter from my studio; release feeling guilty about not being perfect… now that’s a biggie.

Who would have thought that someone who doesn’t do perfect is actually a perfectionist but I’ve discovered that I am which is why I don’t do a lot of things I actually could do if I worked at it.  I couldn’t do perfect right out of the box so I didn’t do.  I know where it comes from …. Mother. But that’s another story, perhaps another post someday.

Back to release – guilt about not getting my blog post done when I scheduled it or missing a day of daily sketching,  release --  the extra weight I carry, the boxes full of stuff in the basement that haven’t been unpacked since we moved here 10 years ago, the holiday decorations that have seen better days and have no real sentimental value.  So many things and all I have to do is remember a word…. Release.

4 comments:

Kate Scott said...

Hi Helen
On reading your blog this morning you made me laugh - too funny - I find that every year I get deeper into my seventies I get so melancholy that I start to cry. So it was wonderful to read your blog and laugh. Love your daily painting, I have just started a blog as well called Serendipity, sometime around Christmas, but am still trying to find my way around the site to post.

Joan Tavolott said...

I don't know about you but "release" is so difficult for me, whether it is a physical possession or an emotion. Great for you that you have kept off the weight and that you are sketching regularly. I really enjoyed your Christmas post below, with the treasures that bring back so many memories. Wishing you a happy, healthy, creative 2014!

Jo Castillo said...

I love this post and the idea of release. I also liked the previous memories. Thanks for the push to do both things! Happy New Year!

Helen Percy Lystra said...

Thank you all, Kate I'll look up your blog, I don't see a link here.