Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The house that Grandpa Built


I wasn't going to do this but.... last week a friend and I talked about doing a house for a project being done by the Holland Area Arts Council. Another friend has recently taken the post of program coordinator for the Arts Council and she is in charge of the event. I had decided building a house wasn't my thing and wasn't going to do it. Then I learned that friend 1 had told friend 2 we were going to and friend 2 was so excited because it's one of her first programs and she so wants it to succeed... what could I say... I built a house. We used a template provided by them. I added a porch because we were suppose to tell the story of our growing up in the house, illustrating our favorite room... well, my favorite wasn't in the house... I lived on a lake and my favorite place to be was either in or on the lake. But going inside I did have a place I was most comfortable... the porch. The house is 8"x8" without the porch. And yes, the house I grew up in was red... fire engine red actually. It's the house my dad grew up in too. In fact, my siblings and I still own it... anyone want to buy a house on a lake? I used foam core... it's stamped all over, then glazed with the red. It was a fun project even though it brought up some not so good memories.

4 comments:

Angie said...

You are a multi talented lady! I dont think I could build it if it were half done. I am sorry your art brought you through some tough memories, that has happened to me lately too. Always a pleasure to visit your blog.

Joan said...

Sorry this project brought back some unpleasant memories. It looks like an interesting project. Our house as a kid had an enclosed front porch that was wonderful in the summer, but freezing in the winter. My favorite place was either the front steps or the backyard.

Judybec said...

I love little house models! What a fun project.... you can always add the lake out front!

Helen Percy Lystra said...

Thanks Angie, Joan and Judy. It was a fun project for a worthwhile cause.