Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2009

New Miniatures

The Buoys Are Waiting #2  Kathy's Barn

Morning At The Lake #2Keene Farm

I have no idea why the Keene Farm (lower right) came out this odd shape in the photo, it is actually the same size and configuration as the two top pieces.  I'm better at painting than at photography.  The three that are similar are 2" and the frames are collaged using New York Times Magazine pages that I have sprayed with Citra-Solv and then given them an Encaustic coating for protection.  The odd one is 1 1/2" and the frame has been collaged with an old navigation chart and coated as the others were.  This one doesn't have a glass or plexi glaze, instead I coated it with an acrylic glaze for protection.

 

Last weekend we celebrated our anniversary by taking a trip to our favorite big city.... Chicago.  We went to see the new Modern Wing of the Art Institute of Chicago which is beautiful and full of wonderful works.  While we were there we also visited the Cultural Center and I was awestruck by the wonderful mosaic work. 

cultural center mosaic

All of it was wonderful but the crown... the beautiful dome by Tiffany. 

IMG_0099 IMG_0100

I'm not only attracted to old and beautiful... things that are worn out also get my attention... here are a few shots of sidewalk.... I think they'll make good starts for abstract pieces.

sidewalk 1 sidewalk 3 sidewalk 5 sidewalk 6

2 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

The small works are so beautifully offset by their frames - what a magnificent dome that is!

Joan said...

Great minis!!! I love the way you do these. Looks like you had fun in Chicago. I like the photos of the sidewalk. They do look like they would make interesting works.