Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

A Wine Fairy House and a couple artists I admire


This little Wine Fairy House was once a blank birdhouse.  The chimney was once a church steeple but I wanted a wine fairy house so I cut the steeple part off and covered the hole that had been the birds entry with a piece of balsa wood which became the door, complete with stained glass window.  I still need to add flowers in the purple pot and its copper roof needs to weather but I'm liking how it came out.  


Not much painting done over the long weekends but it was a fun one.  The bird house was done while my guys were off playing in the sand dunes.  On the 4th family was here for picnic, fireworks and, of course, sparklers.

And since not much painting or stitching got done seems a good time to introduce a couple artists whose work I admire, Kay Smith and Sandy Meyer.

I first met Kay Smith on the wetcanvas website where she regularly participates in the weekend drawing events, she does beautiful watercolors. I've never met her in person but she and I have become friends via wetcanvas. Kay is a nationally known artist located in Texas. She has received numerous awards over the years and has been published in several national publications. Check her website, click on her name above and it will take you there.

If you wish to purchase a painting, inquire about workshops or ask about commissions - you'll see how on her site. . She will be glad to answer any questions and can take your order right over the phone.

And by the way, she specializes in pet portraits.


Another watercolor artist I admire is Sandy Meyer, both her work and the artist herself. She's become a good friend. I met Sandy's work long before I met Sandy though I didn't realize it until several years after getting to know Sandy in person.  I keep a file of images I like and while doing some sorting and getting rid of I came across an image of a quilt painting that had appeared long ago in one of the art magazines I get.  Since I'd gotten to know Sandy and had seen some of her quilt paintings I recognized immediately that it was her work.  Check out her site, like Kay, her name is a link, click on it and it will take you there

2 comments:

Kay Smith said...

Thanks for mentioning me and my work on your lovely blog, Helen! I appreciate you.

Helen Percy Lystra said...

Happy to share Kay, I love your work and I know some of my readers will too.