Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Retreat Week and a Work In Process



For the past 20 some years my friend Terry and I have come to Spider Lake for an Art Retreat Week. It's just the two of us and we do a lot of art, reading art books, catching up with each other's news (we live on opposite sides of the state,) swimming and laughing.  We cook and eat too.

This is the week and so far I've gotten quite a bit of work done but only one photographed and that's a WIP (work in process)  I thought some of you might be interested in the process I go through to get to a final mixed media piece like the one above.

This is the image I'm working a photo I took on a recent trip to France.

First a drawing with some modifications to get the person away from dead center...


Then I ink a plate and transfer the drawing to mulberry paper.  I place the above drawing on top so I can be sure I get the print the way I want it.  As a result it is reversed but that doesn't matter to me as long as there are no words... with words I need to do the original in reverse...
Now comes the fun part but it's not going to get done right away.  I will be adding collage materials and possibly some paint.  I do plan to get it finished in time to deliver to Freemont where I will be having an exhibit later this month.



2 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

sandymeyerart said...

have a great time on the retreat. These trips refuel our creative spirit. The piece has a great start. Love the image!
Sandy