Pages

Monday, December 31, 2018

Happy New Year

This morning, working with New York Times magazine pages and my favorite color …. blue, I finished this piece in my collage journal.  The rest of the day I spent putting a bit of Christmas away getting ready to have a few friends in tonight... It is New Year/s Eve after all.

One of the things I did to get ready was make a special cracker spread... the one I watched my dad concoct one night while we were out to dinner.  Waiting for the meal he asked the waiter to bring him some Roquefort Cheese, a glass of Harveys Bristol Cream, some crackers and one of their soup cups... empty..  There was butter on the table.  With everything assembled he proceeded to mix up a delightful spread for those crackers.  It was the first time I'd seen him do it but it was also the first time I had been with him in a restaurant when I was old enough to drink.  Mother said he did it often when they were out without us kids.

Now I'm sitting with a glass of wine, looking at all of the ornaments on our Christmas Tree and remembering …  So many years and so many good memories.  Yes, there are a few not so good ones too but tonight I'm concentrating only on the good ones.  As my 79th year comes to an end and I look forward to my 80th why think about the not so good... there are way to many good ones to think about.  And most of them are represented in one way or another on our Christmas Tree.

I have ornaments from my childhood and several collected or given to me through the years.  I still have the first ornaments I bought for the first tree I had in my very first home away from my parents home.  At one time I did two trees, one was a designed tree, the kind that decorators and artists do, the other was like this one... just a lot of special ornaments that have been collected through the years.  And for the last few years the main decorator has been our grandson.  He would decide which ornaments went where... all my angel ornaments went in the back or up high because he didn't like angels.  This year he changed his mind, still not his favorite but okay to be spread out around the tree.

My life has been good, I am feeling blessed as I look forward to 2019.

 I wish you all a very Happy and Joy filled New Year

1 comment:

Joan Tavolott said...

Happy New Year, Helen! I feel the same way about my tree. Almost every ornament is a reminder of a time in my life, a place I visited, or a special person. I have the few remaining glass ornaments that were on our tree growing up and it amazes me that they have survived for nearly 70 years...or even more if they were bought before I was born. I love putting up the tree and thinking about each ornament and the special place it has in my life. Wishing you a happy, healthy, inspired 2019 filled with love and laughter.