Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2019

An Artists Date and a Great Exhibit




My artists date this week was in a place most of you probably don’t know exists, and if you have heard of it you would not expect to see the gem that I saw there, unless you were from there.  I took in the current exhibit at the Flint Institute of Arts.  Hands down, the FIA is the best small art institute I have ever visited.  It’s definitely worth a trip if you are interested in art.  The current exhibit will be there until September 8.

I know I’m suppose to start with the who, what, when and where and all I gave you was the where.  But it’s been a long time since I’ve been to the FIA, I had almost forgotten what a gem it is. Had to give a shout out about it.

              Back to the exhibit…. Isabelle De Borchgrave, Fashioning Art From Paper.  She builds sculptures, out of paper she has painted, life size sculptures, replicas of the fashions of the Renaissance, the styles of the 1920’s and modernist costumes from the Russian Ballet.



And not just the cloths, the accessories too.  Some of the jewelry and all of the shoes are paper.


 Even the lace....


   

 Some jewels are trompe l’oeil, 


and some gowns have a combination of both





 And then there were the 1920's evening dresses 
 and every day dresses from an in between period
 and the costumes






It's a fascinating exhibit, worth a look.  I may have to go back for another look.

1 comment:

Joan Tavolott said...

These are all made from paper??? Amazing work.