Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Memories Surface As Lockdown Continues

I started writing yesterday but didn't finish.  This morning more memories surfaced as I did my morning quick sketch so I'm starting over.  I'm doing the 100 Day Project and these tags were done for that.
The one on the right is yesterdays and the word remember is because it is a memory of my dad.  Ferguson's did framing. No, my dad was not an artist.  Well, he was but that wasn't how he identified but that's another story.  He was a collector and Ferguson's did a lot of framing for him. 

He was an eclectic collector.  The value of the piece didn't matter to him.  If he liked it he bought it.  We have some of those pieces.  Two are worth a few thousand dollars each, one is a calendar print. All three had prominent spots in his home.  All of them were boats.  The calendar print hung over the fireplace.  It was my favorite so he gave it to me when Ed and I bought our home on Lake Avenue. It hung over our fireplace there until we moved,  So where does the red come from if he collected boats?

My parents both loved red.  The house I grew up in was Fire Engine Red.  It was on the shore of Union Lake and Dad always said he painted it red so we could find our way home.  All the other houses were white. Truth was he and Mother liked red.  

She told us that before they were married they used to say they would get married when they made red kitchen appliances.  They didn't wait that long but they were together for10 years before they got married.  And while shopping for a new washing machine with my mother many years ago I spied a red oven.  Our kitchen was red so my siblings and I bought it for them as an anniversary present.

The day before I had used some of my sari ribbons on a tag.  It was blue so I decided the rest of that piece would be the finishing touch on the tag that was my memory of him.  He did love boats and the water.

And today's morning sketch was a doll.  It was a gift from a friend who had been part of an Art Doll Collaborative with me.  I was a tomboy.  I didn't play with dolls as a child but I was invited to be part of an Art Doll Collaborative by some artists I admired.  I said yes without thinking.  As I said, I didn't play with dolls as a child and had never made one. But I've rambled on long enough today.  I'll take some photos of some of my dolls and post about that next week.




1 comment:

zoomerf15 said...

Ah yes, lots of reminiscing during this quiet time at home. I remember an idyllic couple of years with you after we moved to the lake.Mostly lots of swimming, bike riding on dirt roads, playing fish & mother may I. Oh such joy & peace. I can hear the doves cooing & the jays calling. Sorry when you moved to Flint as there were no other kids to play with.