Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Another from the workshop and a work in process

Day 4 portrait

This was my first portrait at the workshop.  I wasn't thrilled with the result but felt satisfied with parts of it.  The gentleman did have those bags under his eyes and before this workshop I probably would not have gone that dark with them.   I like drawing people, I also like sketching people.  The problem has always been painting them, whenever I do everything ends up extremely tight and the life of the piece is lost.  The only time that doesn't happen is when I'm padding a wash to a sketch.  I have a better idea how to go about doing this now that I've watched Charles work and worked on a couple myself; however, I have a long way to go.

Meanwhile a house in pen and ink.  This is something else I enjoy doing and I have an order for this one so better get to finishing it...

peggys house drawing

I have to walk by again to have a closer look at the porch.  I should be able to finish it in a couple days, then the buyer will decide if she wants a color wash on it.  Some houses are easier for me than others, because I love the house... this is one of those.

5 comments:

Barb said...

The portrait is incredible. i love the spots of intense and surprising colors. Just amazing. I hope I get to see the house sketch finished.

Helen Percy Lystra said...

Thank you Barb, you will see the house sketch finished.

Joan said...

Great job on the portrait!! It must have been amazing to watch Charles Reid paint portraits with his love of color. I end up with such washed out colors when I do people. I love the house sketch, since I love things done with ink. I'll be back to see it finished.

Dean H. said...

I REALLY like this portrait, Helen!!
The colors...the undefined outer hairline...edges...background...all super!
You should do a lot more in this vein!

Judybec said...

Very nice! that's one beautiful portrait! House is looking good too...