Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Day Of Plein Air

pleain air musk pier

It was a beautiful day Saturday and I had an opportunity to paint with a group of artists, all of us taking a workshop lead by Helen Kleczynski.  It was “The Art of Journaling” but it became a plein air session too which was fine with me.

Two friends who went with me sit on a log and sketch

IMG_0016

We spent the morning at the beach, my view above.  We broke for lunch and then went to a park near the museum where I started this little piece but didn’t finish – rain started.

plein air musk park

It’s been a very long time since I’ve done any plein air painting so when my friend, Betty Dobbie, asked me if we couldn’t set a regular time to do it this summer, I didn’t hesitate – yes let’s.  And so we will, every Tuesday starting this week.  

I didn’t learn much about painting in the workshop but I did get some ideas about  handy things to have or make for plein air painting.  Helen K’s set up worked wonderfully for her.  I may adapt it for my own use but not until I’ve been out a bit more and determine what works for me.  Here’s her set up.

 plein air set up 2

I’m looking forward to Tuesday!

2 comments:

Barb said...

Helen, I think that was the class I signed up for last fall that got cancelled. Darn! It looks like great fun.
Barb

Jo Castillo said...

Looks like you had fun and the sketches are just wonderful! Look forward to seeing more.