Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Fall & Another Wine Bag

Every year for the past several I've made a Christmas table runner.  This year I decided to do one for Fall.  I still have some hand stitching to do to finish but it's close to done.

A design wall would be helpful.  Now that this is all together I can see that I should have put the top one the other way around and on the bottom.  Oh well, most that see it won't notice.  Perhaps I'll do another one next fall.  One can only use so many Christmas table runners.  On the other hand, there is still time... maybe there is room for one more for Christmas. But first, more wine bags.



This one is denim with ribbon from my grandmother's knit shop and tatting done by my mother.  The ribbon is an indication of how long I keep things.  My grandmother has been gone since 1958.  It's taffeta and pretty sturdy but just in case, I put a fusible backing on it before adding it to the bag.

I've used the ribbon on wreaths and lots of other holiday decorations and think of her every time I use it.  This is the first time I've used it on something that may go away.  Still plenty left though so I'm not feeling a loss.

I recently saw a knit wall hanging where the person used a lot of her grandmother's knitting tools to make it an art piece.  I have been thinking about doing something similar though not a knit wall hanging. While I was once an avid knitter, my fingers no longer enjoy it so I do another type of stitching.  I have some of Grandma's tools, some of my mother's, and some parts of quilts done by my great, great grandmother.  One of these days I'll figure out a way to put them all together in a piece of art.  Maybe that will be my project for the January exhibit at the Gallery.  We're suppose to do a work of art that is totally different than anything else we have done.... maybe an assemblage?  Have to talk with my friend Annie Morgan... the assemblage expert.

2 comments:

Sue McQuade said...

Hi Helen...your Fall table runner is stunning-I like the "wonkyness."

Athalia said...

I am going to try this because it looks so simply but still beautiful. Nice share!