Pages

Monday, October 22, 2018

Trying Tack Down Collage


I've been reading blogs by collage artists and found Laura Lein-Svencner.  She does tack-down collage using gloss polymer varnish and a tack iron.  I don't have a tack iron but I do have a small travel iron in my studio.  I also had this mono-type that I had intended to paint but instead dug out collage papers in some colors that might work.

The first step was to add a coat of the polymer to the print and the collage papers, then cut the papers and iron them on.  It works beautifully.  Then I dug out a cradle to mount the piece on, added a coat of gesso, some rice paper and after everything dried, a coat of the polymer varnish.  Hooray, that worked as well.

It's not as messy as glue but not sure it will work with some of the things I add to my current 4x4 series.  I am going to try it but those are on hold for a little while.  The Holiday Show at the Gallery is coming up soon and I need to get more Wonky Angels finished for that.


No comments: