Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2022

An Artist's Date And A Workshop

 This week, an artist's date.  This is something I bought tickets for in 2019 to do in 2020. The pandemic interfered. Finally on Thursday this week I got to see the VanGogh Immersion.  Fascinating!


When I bought the tickets Detroit was the only place it was showing in Michigan. Since then it has been scheduled to show in Grand Rapids.  I may go again.

Meanwhile, I'm taking a Karen Stamper workshop, Free Up Your Sketchbook and Grow.  The idea is to learn to use your sketchbook pages to eventually make paintings. I did use my sketchbook when I was doing poured watercolors.  For those I did a value study or the drawing before I started a painting.  I haven't used my sketchbook for abstracts so I decided this course may be a good one.

Karen uses a concertina sketcjbook and recommended it for us to use.  I had done on for our Florida trip and liked it so I bought one for this class.  This is the start, just making marks without thinking and using a variety of mark making tools. I can already see boats. They may or may not stay. I'm guessing at least one will survive.


Another lesson for the first week was to use a separate piece of paper to make marks on and then tear it up and use parts to make a collage and/or add parts to your sketchbook. I did both.  My collage is on the left and parts added to my sketchbook on the right. I see a couple sterns, may have to turn flip the left piece to horizontal.  

 

That's all I got done on this weeks.  Fortunately with internet workshops one can work at a time that works for them.  I'll have access to this workshop for a year but I want to get it done by the end of the 6 weeks it's live.  I'll post an update next week.


No comments: