Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2023

It Was A Covid Christmas And A New Year, New Practice


I had intended to spend the week between Christmas and New Years focusing on what was good about 2022 and where I wanted to go in 2023.  Instead I slept.  Covid invaded our home for the holiday.  Fortunately we celebrated with our kids ahead of the actual day so it was just Ed and me, sleeping and reading.  Yesterday was my first day with people but I did get outside for some walks on the beach.




I feel blessed to live in this little town on the shore of Lake Michigan.  I get to drive by this lake every time I'm out running errands. I'm also blessed to have such a wonderful art community to inspire me.

One of the things I'm going to try to do every day is more experimenting in my art journal.  The celebratory piece at the top of this post is one.  I've done something daily and day 2 became a work in process.  I finished it Friday. Obviously the walks on the beach inspired me.


And yesterday, my first day in the company of others, I joined a group of Urban Sketchers,  #UrbanSketchersWestMichigan, held it's first meet up of 2023.  I've followed my friend Joan Tavolott
and her New York Urban Sketchers for years so was thrilled to find a group here in my area.


We were supposed to sketch the people in the group but my friend Ruth and I got there early, no people yet, so we started working on the view. After doing the view I did a few people sketches.  It's been a long time since I've done people sketching.  Time to do more of it I think.



Looking forward to getting back to sketching with my Tuesday group next week -- and more beach walks in 2023!

Wishing Everyone a Very Happy New Year!








3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Love seeing your sketches. We've made a few trips to Michigan near Flint to see a painting friend and visited Saugatuck and Grand Rapids with her. Beautiful. The Urban sketch group sounds great. My plein air friends and sketchers have retired or gave up. Maybe this year will be better.

Helen Percy Lystra said...

Jo, Let me know if you come to Michigan again. I'm not far from Grand Rapids and Saugatuck and I get over to the Flint every now and then as I'm from that side of the state.

Jo Castillo said...

Helen, it is doubtful this late in the game. We are 80s and Gene isn't driving anymore. Our friend is Sue Modrak if you run into her at a paint out or sketching someplace. Thanks, would love to meet you! So if you get to Texas???