Pages

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Weeding

 


"Gardening has reminded me to be ruthless. Weeds must be pulled for the other plants to live."
Julie Fei-Fan Balzer 

And weeding reminds me that it's necessary to part with some things in the studio that haven't been used in years. I keep telling myself that I will get around to that one of these days but it's time to get realistic, I'm going to have to live to be a 120 to finish the things I want to finish let alone all of the things I may do one of these days. And much of that extra stuff is in the way of getting anything done.  

Clutter in closets, clutter in the garage, clutter in the junk drawer -- well those are pretty well sorted and kept clear here but not my studio so a lot of stuff is going away to give me room to work on something I want to work on.

Which brought me the poppies above, I did the drawing over a year ago I think.  Finally last week I added some paint and this morning a bit of gesso for texture.  I have no idea where the piece is going but so far I'm liking it. This is the first floral I've tried using acrylics.  I once did watercolor florals but that was a long time ago. And since I've recently been trying non-representational mixed media and now am experimenting with a more representational mixed media piece, why not try watercolor non-representational?  Well it started that way but ended up becoming a landscape and I kind of like it.


So why not try the same watercolor spatter paint method and flowers.  I like that too though I don't think I'd like them larger, these are about 5 x7".


Both of these were fun to play with.  The poppies have been fun too -- so far.  I'm going slow with that one because I don't want to mess it up.  Then again, why not -- I can always sand it back and start over.  That is part of what I like about working on wood.  And I may do more experimenting with non-representational watercolors.  Stay tuned.









No comments: