Pages

Saturday, October 21, 2023

Some New Directions

 As we get older it's harder to part with things -- not because things are important as "things" but because they represent a life -- mine.  This week I started doing a morning drawing and today I decided to add one of the "things" that I can't part with. The pear was done a couple days ago.


Here is a photo of it in real life sitting on top of our Hoosier Cabinet.  It was dropped and broken by someone, either a child or a cleaning person, but it was put back together and most of the mistakes are on the back.  It was my grandmother's, given to her by Uncle John.  He was experimenting with crystal glazes and this one was a reject.  I think of both of them when I look at it.


He did perfect the glaze and according to a book about him, his recipes are at the DIA.  I've seen current artists who say they developed the glaze and I'm not doubting them.  But it isn't new.  As I said, this was my grandmothers, she died in 1958, that's when I got it.

Recently I've been working on brushstrokes and have been watching Jean Haines videos.  She's the one who got me started on the stones which I can't seem to stop doing but that aside.  Another video showed up that caught my attention, Shirley Trevena.  She does very interesting still lifes.  I'm not thinking mine will look like hers but I think adding some of my "things" may work in one or two.  The brushwork practice has been good so it's time to think about some serious painting.

Meanwhile I still have a few mixed media and collage works in process.  That will be another post.

2 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

I like your sketch overlaying the previous. Interesting. Nice vase and memories.

Helen Percy Lystra said...

Thanks Jo.