Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2024

A New Favorite Tool

 

 “Outside the comfort zone is where the magic happens”

So I’ve been venturing outside my comfort zone.  Among the things I’ve learned on that venture – a new favorite mark making tool – Grandpa Percy’s whisk broom


Here is an example of the marks it makes – This piece is working outside my comfort zone.  Just playing with different tools.  No way could I make marks like that any other way.

And it feels good making them.  I was only 9 months old when he died so never knew him.  However, mother always said our lives would have been so much different had he lived.  I’m thinking that was a positive because I heard from others that he approved of her, Grandma didn’t.  That whisk broom has been in my studio for years but I’ve never used it.  Now I like to think he’s in here with me helping me find my way.  Time will tell.

Here are a couple more playing with colors, stencils, sticks and other mark making tools.

 

And back in the studio after a trip to Virginia I’m doing a redo on a 16x16 cradle – this is before the do over. 

I didn’t like where it was going so I sanded it all back.  Once that was done it was almost all black with spots of white so I covered it entirely with vintage papers and started over.  I had a vision of what it would be but it had other ideas.  This is where it is now and I have no clue where it will want to go next. 



I haven’t done much more in here.  We spent a week in Virginia exploring and celebrating the life of my cousin. I had mixed emotions about it – she was my first best friend and we were buddies in spite of being total opposites.  We went our separate ways as we grew older but the friendship remained.  It was the type that even apart for many years (she was a military wife) when we saw each other it was like we just parted a day or two ago. She had a good life so in spite of being sad, it was a celebration.  And it was good to see her siblings and her kids and grandkids – even greats.

Now it’s time to get back to work in the studio.  In addition to the WIP I'm still playing with stones and florals.  I've been using different media, more exploring -- some of it outside my comfort zone.  Here are a couple florals -- one with acrylic and one with oil paint sticks.  


I'm almost done with the floral and stone exploration so it's time to set up a new challenge.  Don't yet know what it's going to be but I'll post when I get it underway.


No comments: