Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Tuesday Group Went To The Poor Farm

The official name now is Eastmanville Farm County Park but it's still known as the Poor Farm.  Since we've been doing barns this summer it seemed like a logical place to go so we did.


It's now a Memorial Park in honor of the poor farm.  The home is no longer there but the farm, barn, out buildings and cemetery are there and in the process of being restored.  I didn't make it out to the cemetery part of the park, that's for another day.

Barns remind me of a story an instructor once told about painting barns.  She said her professor said: "...don't paint anything trite like a barn."  Then later said: "Paint what you know."  She said to us: "I'm from Ohio, what I know is barns."

I don't think barns are trite, I've seen some wonderful barn paintings.  My friend Carol Cousineau's barns are among the best I've seen, Here's a link if you'd like to see some of her work Carol Cousineau (galleryuptown.net)

Next week we're back to one of my favorite places to be -- the waterfront.  We'll be painting at a friend's who lives of the river.

1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

Helen, this is a super sketch in your art journal. I know what you mean by starting with the gray. Sigh. Still a beautiful memory. Nice story.